Since the game I ran at the Barrage game convention in September I've been needing to do some markers for hallways that are not closed off by a door. So when the heroes in the game cause a room to be placed on the board (or hallway for that matter) you also place any closed doors in the room, as well as any open hallways so that the players are aware of the non-hidden exits before entering the room/hallway. I have plenty of doorways. I had no open hallway markers. One of my oldest gaming buddies was playing in the game at Barrage and he said, "why don't you just make markers like you have now for the doors, but instead of painting a door on the wooden shape, paint it black to represent an open hallway?" Brilliant! And that's what I did.
I wanted to do some of the tougher classic D&D monsters, so I thought I would work on some golems and elementals. I've got several on my painting table right now, but here is the Iron Golem I made.
The construction is essentially the same as for the various heavily armored fighter and knight figures I've done in the past. The only difference is the head, which I just used an axle cap for. I cut three pieces of tile spacer down (thinned down the ends of the spacer essentially) to make helmet decorations (those are the half-circle things glued to the top of his helmet) just to give him some visual interest. I also wanted my Iron Golem to be a bit rusty, so I painted some rust patterns on him. His eyes and mouth are dots of florescent green paint. It took two coats (the red and the orange are bright, the green and the yellow are very thin). This is the same type of paint I use for the "glass" parts of the Space Marine figures I do. I wanted it to look hollow inside his helmet/head with the arcane energy glowing inside giving him "life." The florescent paint tends to be shiny on the figure, and it produces this diffused look just from its natural drying process, where the center is more intense in hue and the color sort of diffuses out from the center. It actually looks much better in person than in these pictures.
You know me, I can't resist an "eye-candy" shot with some adventurers coming upon a new tunnel marker with an Iron Golem guardian attacking them as they try to enter the passage.
- ► 2017 (36)
- New Hero & Tribute to Gary Gygax & David A. Trampi...
- More Dungeon Terrain & a New Hero!
- Starting New 28mm DBA Hun Army
- Erol Otus Tribute, a New Monster, and a Treasure P...
- Forgot to Include the Monster in the Post below!
- Dungeon Furniture, Walls, & a Monster
- Early Christmas Present: a Cricut Cutter
- Dungeon Terrain & a Troll!
- Austrian Dragoons 1866 and Why Craft?
- Doppleganger & Flesh Golem
- Spanish Troops in Bicorne
- Air Elemental & Drow
- Iron Golem & Hallway
- ▼ December (13)
- ► 2011 (43)
Hello Everyone [Matt here], Dale was nice enough to invite me to submit a guest entry on his Wooden Warriors blog. I was more than happy t...
My goal was to scratch-build and paint a 28mm DBA Early Armenian (II/28(b)) army in twelve days, but I did not make it. More like 24 days, e...
So the call went out on the Wargaming on a Budget forum for how to make helmets for ancient warriors, like a Greek Hoplite. I have been won...
I decided to use the rules Song of Drums and Shakos (SDS), which are simple to teach, but give the player tactical choices to make, so it n...
I was costing out my various Napoleonic figures for the rules Song of Drums and Shakos , and I thought it would be interesting to try and co...
One of the uniform elements that I really like is the Prussian pickelhaube from the Franco-Prussian War-era, similar to this one . In additi...
Generally speaking, I stay away from Hot Glue and Hot Glue Guns. I inevitably burn my fingertips by smooshing it into the molten glue at som...
I was accused of teasing :) you all with my last entry, because I did not include a picture of the final product. That wasn't teasing; I...
This is why I paint Napoleonics. It is because of uniforms like this. I first saw a picture of the 1807 French Napoleonics Carabiniers in a ...
Hi Everyone, I finally got around to painting the Mind Flayer and the Otyugh figures I made a while back. I've been working on a &quo...
Labels I Use in Posts
- ancients (26)
- battle report (4)
- beads (2)
- casting (4)
- dba (10)
- experiments (58)
- fantasy (39)
- gaming (26)
- medieval (4)
- minimalist (3)
- napoleonic (41)
- news (2)
- painting (36)
- printed paper (8)
- products (12)
- review (12)
- sci-fi (4)
- Shadowsea (2)
- soldiers (110)
- steampunk (3)
- terrain (4)
- tools (11)
- toy (3)
- tutorial (70)
- warriors (125)
- wooden (150)
- WWII (2)