Got sick over the weekend so I was holed up in my house all the time and even though I didn't feel well (and still don't!) I got some work done on my wooden guys just to distract me from my horrible head and chest cold.
First up, a treasure pile! I can take no credit for this construction idea, I stole it from DMG from his YouTube channel. I did make a couple of minor modifications, however, but regardless, here it is:
I've been wanting to do a Basilisk for some time now. I finally got the construction the way I wanted it and decided to paint him a little bit of a different color than the standard greenish or yellowish lizard skin color.
As I've said a couple of times on this blog I believe, my favorite old-school D&D artist is Erol Otus. His stuff I find very compelling primarily because his art does not stick with the traditional appearance of the various classes (like a fighter's armor may be very strange looking), and also his art has a very surreal look to it, which I think is perfect for a fantasy adventure game. Anyway, I've been meaning to do some figures for PCs as near as I could match in his style. I can't do all the details he puts into his work, for obvious reasons, and I am no where near the artist he is, but my goal was to create a fighter, cleric, and wizard that would at least give the Erol Otus feel to someone looking at them, using his paintings to inspire me. Here is how they turned out:
For the most part, all three figures are the same upside milk bottle construction that I often use for my human figures (these three are all humans although the wizard could be an elf I think as well ... a tall one). However, the fighter and the wizard each have a new piece to them that I've not shown on this blog before.
First the wizard. His head is a oval bead. I filed one end down at a slight 45 degree angle so that when I glued it to the flat surface of the bottom of the milk bottle it would tilt backward; hence his head position. Also I filled in the open hole at the top of the bead with a hot glue gun and as is often the case with these wooden fellows, I was trying to make a "peak" with the hot glue but created two peaks. It looked to me like he was wearing some sort of open hat and his hair was sticking out the top in two tufts! It was one of those ignorant, happy mistakes! The fighter's helmet is a metal piece that I can't remember the name of, but they use them in leather working when they put studs in leather. The unaltered piece looks like the metal cone you see here, but it has to sharp prongs that point downwards that obviously are used to pierce the leather and then are bent backwards to hold the metal cone into place. I snipped those off and glued it on top of the smaller end of a flat head plug. Makes a very nice helmet I think! Also on the fighter and the wizard I painted mouths, which I do not normally do, but after not doing that with the cleric (even though I think he looks very cool presenting his holy symbol with his eyes narrowed and focused!), the mouths are an important part of Otus's work and I needed to include them in the figures. One of the things I really like about the wizard in particular is that the figure could be used for a male or a female character. I really hate having to make different figures for the different sexes.
Thanks again, Mr. Otus, your work enthralled me as a boy, and I am still inspired and affected by it as an older man. I salute you!
- ► 2017 (36)
- New Hero & Tribute to Gary Gygax & David A. Trampi...
- More Dungeon Terrain & a New Hero!
- Starting New 28mm DBA Hun Army
- Erol Otus Tribute, a New Monster, and a Treasure P...
- Forgot to Include the Monster in the Post below!
- Dungeon Furniture, Walls, & a Monster
- Early Christmas Present: a Cricut Cutter
- Dungeon Terrain & a Troll!
- Austrian Dragoons 1866 and Why Craft?
- Doppleganger & Flesh Golem
- Spanish Troops in Bicorne
- Air Elemental & Drow
- Iron Golem & Hallway
- ▼ December (13)
- ► 2011 (43)
Hello Everyone [Matt here], Dale was nice enough to invite me to submit a guest entry on his Wooden Warriors blog. I was more than happy t...
My goal was to scratch-build and paint a 28mm DBA Early Armenian (II/28(b)) army in twelve days, but I did not make it. More like 24 days, e...
So the call went out on the Wargaming on a Budget forum for how to make helmets for ancient warriors, like a Greek Hoplite. I have been won...
I decided to use the rules Song of Drums and Shakos (SDS), which are simple to teach, but give the player tactical choices to make, so it n...
I was costing out my various Napoleonic figures for the rules Song of Drums and Shakos , and I thought it would be interesting to try and co...
One of the uniform elements that I really like is the Prussian pickelhaube from the Franco-Prussian War-era, similar to this one . In additi...
Generally speaking, I stay away from Hot Glue and Hot Glue Guns. I inevitably burn my fingertips by smooshing it into the molten glue at som...
I was accused of teasing :) you all with my last entry, because I did not include a picture of the final product. That wasn't teasing; I...
This is why I paint Napoleonics. It is because of uniforms like this. I first saw a picture of the 1807 French Napoleonics Carabiniers in a ...
Hi Everyone, I finally got around to painting the Mind Flayer and the Otyugh figures I made a while back. I've been working on a &quo...
Labels I Use in Posts
- ancients (26)
- battle report (4)
- beads (2)
- casting (4)
- dba (10)
- experiments (58)
- fantasy (39)
- gaming (26)
- medieval (4)
- minimalist (3)
- napoleonic (41)
- news (2)
- painting (36)
- printed paper (8)
- products (12)
- review (12)
- sci-fi (4)
- Shadowsea (2)
- soldiers (110)
- steampunk (3)
- terrain (4)
- tools (11)
- toy (3)
- tutorial (70)
- warriors (125)
- wooden (150)
- WWII (2)