Friday, January 25, 2019

Granny Grating for Small Details

Today I wanted to talk about needlepoint mesh plastic canvases, a.k.a. "Granny Grating". Granny grating is a sheet of mesh plastic that people use for needlepoint.


People have made armies out of these, in lieu of using the hair rollers of bygone days. But for what I am doing, I want to show using them for details on smaller figures. For example, guns on my minimalist WW II figures are typically simple mini-dowels – straight, round sticks – and any detail I want shown has to be added with dimensional paint. Using granny grating, however, I can cut out simple shapes and simulate SMGs, bolt guns, long rifles, etc.


Best of all, the complex shape of the Japanese LMG can be recreated. I find it better to use a Sharpie permanent marker to draw the basic shape, so I know where to make the cuts.


This little guy will be a prone trooper firing his LMG off of the bipod. You can see the distinctive features, like the magazine protruding from the top of the weapon (similar to the Bren gun).

Granny grating is easily cut, being nylon. Use a very sharp blade to get rid of the 'strings' that tends to come with working on nylon.

Of course, using granny grating is not limited to the little guys. You can use it for larger figures, like an engine ventilation cover on a vehicle, or even as floor grating for terrain. Like everything we show here, it is just another tool in your box to try and convey the shape of what you are trying to model.

4 comments:

  1. Colored "granny grate" is available, such as, gunmetal and brown for your craftee projects. I always enjoy seeing what you're making for your gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, one which I thought about and forgot to add, so thanks. I have a lot of the white, and the wife says I need to finish what I have before buy more. Unfortunately, when dealing with really small pieces (like the guns depicted above) if they fall onto my off-white table they can be really hard to find! So using other colors – not to avoid painting, but to see your work – is a good idea.

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea Dale! I think this stuff is perfect for equipment like guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially complex shapes like the LMG depicted above.

      Another tip is to use a pair of needle-nose pliers to flatten out some of the segments. For example, on the LMG flattening the protrusion that represents the magazine front-to-back or flattening the protrusion that represents the bipod left-to-right can make it look a little more like what it represents. Make sure the pliers do not have ridges on its face, unless that is what you want.

      Delete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts