Wednesday, February 6, 2019

More Granny Grate Guns

Look what I found! I was going through Hobby Lobby looking to see if "granny grates" had different sizes for the hole or the thickness of the arms (I could not find any) and low and behold, there were not only grates of different shapes and sizes, but triangular grates where the holes were also triangular!


I got a package of 10 grates for $1.59. They only come in one color and size (at least at this store), but you can make triangular and hexagonal shapes.


Me, I was looking for the ubiquitous AK-47 look.


A little blurry, but you get the idea. The rifle stock was flattened with needle-nosed pliers, as was the magazine, then clipped with sharp scissors or a craft knife to make the shape a bit better. On 15mm figures, it works.


One of the other issues I have been having is creating crests on hoplite helmets. Using dimensional paint works, but it takes layers to get a good result, which takes time and patience. This new triangular shape fits nicely around the curve of a round-head furniture plug.


Add just a little dimensional paint (one layer, in this case) and it makes a fine horsehair crest for a 15mm helmeted head.


Not only are there triangular grates, there are circular ones, with curved rows and columns. I could not think immediately of a use, so I did not buy one, but I am sure I will come up with something later, like gears.


1 comment:

  1. Very creative! I love how these guys are coming together.

    I'm still around, just not posting. I just wanted to let you know that I had a bleed inside my right eye which caused me to lose vision in my right eye temporarily. I can still sort of see, it's just like I'm looking through a jar of pond water ... I can see lights and darks, just no detail. I tried to paint with "one eye" but it is really hard and I have just set it aside until I get my vision back. It has been a month, the doctor says it will probably take at least 2 months to totally clear up, but I am getting better and I am getting some of my vision back. At this point I can see a little bit, more like I'm looking through diluted pond water at this point. So I hope to start painting again maybe in two weeks, four at the outside. That means I'm probably at least another month away from my next posting of what I've been doing Wooden Warriors wise, but it will happen sooner rather than later at this point, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts