Sunday, March 17, 2019

I'm baaaccckkkk ...

Okay, so my right eye is still not quite 100%, but I am getting binocular vision again so that means I can paint ... at least the wooden guys.  Regular figures are a bit more challenging but I am still starting to paint some of those again as well.


So I finished the unit of Norman archers that I had on my painting table now for a little more than 2 months, unable to work on them.  Felt great to paint them!  There is nothing new construction wise although I do notice that the more figures I do the more varied in terms of construction I start to make things like helmets, arm positions, and other minor details that add to the diversity of the appearance of the stand and figures, but really don't add anything to the "craft" of making these little fellows.  Anyway, here they are.








Although I am still invested in doing the Battle of Hastings game, it is a bit tiring to be doing Dark Ages figure after Dark Ages figure after Dark Ages figure, so I need a project that I can use these guys for, but will also serve as figures in another game.  Since my first love is fantasy gaming, not historical gaming, I decided to revisit a game that I've been wanting to do for a long time, well before the Hobbit movies came out.  I've always wanted to do the Battle of the Five Armies that is more in line with how Tolkien wrote about it, not how it was portrayed in the movie.  These Dark Ages Normans and Saxons will fit perfectly into this game as the human men of Dale and such.  And being able to do some units of elves, goblins/orcs, warg riders, and some hero bases thrown in for good measure will keep my motivation up for getting the Hastings project done as well. 


The inspiration comes from this old article and webpage that I just love.  I'm not using these rules, but I am using the map, more or less, and the units described in the write up.


http://larsen-family.us/~1066/5armies.html


Right now I'm doing a test base of goblins/orcs (general troops, not the special bodyguard ones) and a test base of elves.  I'll post pics when I finish!

3 comments:

  1. Great to have you back and good to hear health is moving forward. Lovely figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's good to be back, I missed painting and crafting these guys. I thought I could paint with one eye, and I probably could with practice, but the lack of depth perception with one eye is a real problem when you are used to painting a figure using both eyes. I tried, but I would literally touch the figure with the tip of my brush but not be able to tell I was going to do it before it was too late and I ended up putting paint where I didn't want it. My eye doctor was confident that this was temporary and my vision would return, and he was right, so I thought it would be best after my initial failed attempts at painting to just wait and until it cleared up before starting to paint again regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, glad everything is healing nicely, and what a great start!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts