So, we finished making the arms and now we need to attach them. Because the pawn is a curved surface and the arms are flat, we need to flatten the pawn where the arms will be attached so we have more surface contact for the glue. Again, using the Dremel with a sanding drum, I create one flat spot one each side.
You don't need to make a large spot, as you can see. The right arm is glued straight down, representing the arm hanging at rest at the side. The left arm is extended out slightly to hold the musket. The butt of the musket will align with the bottom of the arm, where the hand will be painted. Glue the arms to the pawn using the gel glue and super glue combination used before.
At this point, you can consider the basic figure done. I do not glue the musket to the figure at this point as it makes the basic figure harder to paint. better to paint the figure, paint the musket separately, then glue the musket into place. We will show this must farther down the road.
On the Yahoo forum where we discuss building wooden soldiers one idea of late was to add mass to the arms, just like we did with the feet. What follows is optional.
Using Crayola Model Magic Fusion add a dollop to each arm and shape it so that it slopes down to each edge. Here is my first attempt at it.
To be honest, I won't be sure whether I love it or hate it until I paint it up. For now, I'll set that figure aside until we get to the painting section.
Next up: making a Napoleonic shako.
- ► 2017 (38)
- ► 2011 (43)
- Making Feet Faster
- Infantry Tutorial Continued - The Musket
- Finished a batch of French Legere
- Infantry Tutorial Continued - The Shako
- Infantry Tutorial Continued - The Arms (Part II)
- Infantry Tutorial Continued - The Arms
- Infantry Tutorial Continued - The Feet
- Tutorial - Making an Infantryman
- Information on Command & Colors Napoleonics
- My goodies have arrived
- Wood Craft Products Supplier
- The Mission
- ▼ May (12)
Hello Everyone [Matt here], Dale was nice enough to invite me to submit a guest entry on his Wooden Warriors blog. I was more than happy t...
My goal was to scratch-build and paint a 28mm DBA Early Armenian (II/28(b)) army in twelve days, but I did not make it. More like 24 days, e...
So the call went out on the Wargaming on a Budget forum for how to make helmets for ancient warriors, like a Greek Hoplite. I have been won...
I decided to use the rules Song of Drums and Shakos (SDS), which are simple to teach, but give the player tactical choices to make, so it n...
I was costing out my various Napoleonic figures for the rules Song of Drums and Shakos , and I thought it would be interesting to try and co...
One of the uniform elements that I really like is the Prussian pickelhaube from the Franco-Prussian War-era, similar to this one . In additi...
Generally speaking, I stay away from Hot Glue and Hot Glue Guns. I inevitably burn my fingertips by smooshing it into the molten glue at som...
I was accused of teasing :) you all with my last entry, because I did not include a picture of the final product. That wasn't teasing; I...
This is why I paint Napoleonics. It is because of uniforms like this. I first saw a picture of the 1807 French Napoleonics Carabiniers in a ...
Hi Everyone, I finally got around to painting the Mind Flayer and the Otyugh figures I made a while back. I've been working on a &quo...
Labels I Use in Posts
- ancients (26)
- battle report (4)
- beads (3)
- casting (4)
- dba (10)
- experiments (61)
- fantasy (43)
- gaming (30)
- medieval (5)
- minimalist (4)
- napoleonic (42)
- news (2)
- painting (38)
- printed paper (8)
- products (12)
- review (12)
- sci-fi (4)
- Shadowsea (2)
- soldiers (119)
- steampunk (3)
- terrain (5)
- tools (11)
- toy (7)
- tutorial (73)
- warriors (134)
- wooden (161)
- WWII (3)