Monday, February 21, 2011
British Shoulder Tufts from Yarn
These tufts are actually rather prominent, while the white paint was flat, and thus not very visible. I needed something to make them stand out more.
In the past I have used common yarn for a variety of things, such as simulating tall grass and making the crest of a hoplite helmet. Cutting two small strands of white yarn, and gluing it to the arm, makes for a perfect substitute.
In order to ensure the yarn does not unravel, and to better stick to the figure, once the piece is attached to the figure I thoroughly douse it with thinned Elmer's Clear Glue. (As a side note: I used to use CVS School Glue Gel, which dried clear, but with a slight blue tinge. Elmer's dried perfectly clear and is much thinner - which may or may not be a good thing, depending upon your needs.) Once the glue hardens I use sharp scrapbooking scissors to trim the ends and shape the tuft. In the figures below, you can see the results. (I have placed small light blue arrows to show the tufts, before on the right and after on the left.)
All in all I much prefer the new tufts, despite the additional time and effort taken.
- ▼ February (6)
Hello Everyone [Matt here], Dale was nice enough to invite me to submit a guest entry on his Wooden Warriors blog. I was more than happy t...
My goal was to scratch-build and paint a 28mm DBA Early Armenian (II/28(b)) army in twelve days, but I did not make it. More like 24 days, e...
So the call went out on the Wargaming on a Budget forum for how to make helmets for ancient warriors, like a Greek Hoplite. I have been won...
I decided to use the rules Song of Drums and Shakos (SDS), which are simple to teach, but give the player tactical choices to make, so it n...
I was costing out my various Napoleonic figures for the rules Song of Drums and Shakos , and I thought it would be interesting to try and co...
One of the uniform elements that I really like is the Prussian pickelhaube from the Franco-Prussian War-era, similar to this one . In additi...
Generally speaking, I stay away from Hot Glue and Hot Glue Guns. I inevitably burn my fingertips by smooshing it into the molten glue at som...
This is why I paint Napoleonics. It is because of uniforms like this. I first saw a picture of the 1807 French Napoleonics Carabiniers in a ...
Hi Everyone, I finally got around to painting the Mind Flayer and the Otyugh figures I made a while back. I've been working on a &quo...
I was accused of teasing :) you all with my last entry, because I did not include a picture of the final product. That wasn't teasing; I...
Labels I Use in Posts
- ancients (26)
- battle report (4)
- beads (2)
- casting (4)
- dba (10)
- experiments (56)
- fantasy (37)
- gaming (26)
- medieval (4)
- minimalist (3)
- napoleonic (41)
- news (2)
- painting (36)
- printed paper (8)
- products (12)
- review (12)
- sci-fi (3)
- Shadowsea (2)
- soldiers (107)
- steampunk (3)
- terrain (4)
- tools (11)
- toy (3)
- tutorial (70)
- warriors (122)
- wooden (147)
- WWII (2)