Well, my "12 elements in 12 days" experiment did not work out. Although I will probably end up finishing them in (about) 12 days, they won't be consecutive days. Gaming got in the way too many times. Considering that is what I am doing this for, maybe that is not so bad, but I did want to finish these quickly in order to show it could be done. Oh well.
The first two elements in the army are the cataphracts, one being the General. There was no way to fit four of these fat figures onto a 60mm frontage, so I had to settle for 1x3Kn(Gen) and 1x3Kn. (By the way these bases are temporary; my Litko Aero order has not arrived yet. These bases are 3" x 1 1/2", not the 60mm x 40mm required.) The base on the right - with the gold armor - is the General's base.
All of the rider's use the micro shaker peg, or heart peg, that I discussed in the last blog entry. By sanding down the head appropriately, I got a reasonable body size and head-to-body ratio. :^D The horses are standard (wren) split egg-and-spool design, but with the improvements of a flat head plug added for the neck and wood filler to fill in the gaps. I like it better than the previous design.
As you can see, I did not use anything for the tails other than paint. I started with some yarn, but it was not working out, so I need to experiment first. I can always come back to these later and add tails if I want. All of the tails are bobbed and the bits of color represent the ribbons used to tie them so that annoying infantry does not try to grab then when attempting to hamstring the horse.
Not only was this an experiment in making 28mm figures, in using this peg as the core, in changing the horse design, and to me using tile spacers for arms and legs, but this was a huge experiment in using paint markers and metallic ink pens. I painted the armor a base color in paint (either mustard yellow or light or dark gray) and then used metallic inks to paint on the dots, scales, plates, and bands. It made for a quick and easy method to represent the various sorts of armor. I rather like the effect, but I now know that some of the shine and color can rub off with handling, so you have to varnish these figures.
The horse archers are up next. Fun with tile spacers...
- ► 2023 (10)
- ► 2020 (16)
- ► 2018 (41)
- ► 2017 (38)
- Armenian Warriors
- Armenian Horse Archers
- Armenian Cataphracts
- Stock of the Trade - Micro Shaker Peg
- What's Next
- Stock of the Trade - Clothespins
- Improving on the Split Egg and Spool Horse
- Steampunk Clockwork Soldier - WIP
- Steampunk Clockwork Soldier - WIP
- French Porte-Aigle of the Ligne - WIP
- British 1st Regt. King's German Legion Light Dragoons
- British 87th (Prince of Wales of Irish) Regiment
- Another method of making "Craftees"
- ▼ March (13)
My goal was to scratch-build and paint a 28mm DBA Early Armenian (II/28(b)) army in twelve days, but I did not make it. More like 24 days, e...
Hello Everyone [Matt here], Dale was nice enough to invite me to submit a guest entry on his Wooden Warriors blog. I was more than happy t...
Today I wanted to talk about needlepoint mesh plastic canvases, a.k.a. "Granny Grating". Granny grating is a sheet of mesh plastic...
So the call went out on the Wargaming on a Budget forum for how to make helmets for ancient warriors, like a Greek Hoplite. I have been won...
I decided to use the rules Song of Drums and Shakos (SDS), which are simple to teach, but give the player tactical choices to make, so it n...
Despite my talk about "leveling versus aiming" last time I could not help myself; I had to paint the firing figure aiming because ...
You have been hearing me go on and on about casting small parts to save you the time and effort of hand-making each part, in addition to ens...
One of the uniform elements that I really like is the Prussian pickelhaube from the Franco-Prussian War-era, similar to this one . In additi...
Soooooo, I learned on Friday that I am going to have to have eye surgery on Monday and have to keep my face parallel to the ground for at le...
I was costing out my various Napoleonic figures for the rules Song of Drums and Shakos , and I thought it would be interesting to try and co...
Labels I Use in Posts
- ancients (26)
- battle report (7)
- beads (7)
- casting (4)
- dark ages (6)
- dba (10)
- experiments (78)
- fantasy (77)
- gaming (41)
- laser (2)
- medieval (9)
- minimalist (12)
- napoleonic (44)
- news (3)
- painting (44)
- printed paper (9)
- products (15)
- review (14)
- sci-fi (14)
- Shadowsea (2)
- soldiers (164)
- steampunk (4)
- terrain (11)
- tools (14)
- toy (10)
- tutorial (79)
- vehicles (2)
- warriors (185)
- wooden (219)
- WWII (4)