I've started painting the figure, but still have some crafting and final painting touches to go. As I need a break from the painting table, I thought I would post the work in progress.
I still have the cuff details to paint, and I am still considering whether to paint braid on the jacket, but for the most part the figure painting is done.
The crafting that remains is the cup in her out-stretched (left) hand and the spigot and measuring beaker on the alcohol barrel. Maybe I will add a strap for the barrel, made out of twine, too.
The main challenge for this figure was the right arm. If I had the barrel on the side (which is made from two flat-head plugs glued together), the arm needed to be draped over it, which means a bend in the arm. Wanting to keep with the all-wood construction as much as possible - I did not want to craft an arm out of putty - I decided to see what I could do about bending a curve into wood.
I started with the craft stick, shaping it as I would any other figure's arm (although I deliberately made it so it was not as wide as the others). Then I took a sander and sanded out a rounded space in the middle of the arm, so the bend would be easier.
All in all I am very satisfied with how this figure is turning out. I've started pinning the arms to get a better bond now. More on that in the next blog entry, which shows a Greek warrior in the Trojan War period.
- ► 2017 (37)
- ► 2011 (43)
- Greek Trojan War Figure Completed
- French Ligne Drummer
- Vivandiere - Complete
- Greek in the Trojan War
- Vivandiere - Started the painting
- Vivandiere - Finishing the Top Hat and Making the ...
- Vivandiere - Making the Top Hat
- French Legere Firing
- Firing Pose
- MAG-Con II - First Game with Napoleonic Wooden War...
- Preparing for MAG-Con II
- ▼ December (11)
Hello Everyone [Matt here], Dale was nice enough to invite me to submit a guest entry on his Wooden Warriors blog. I was more than happy t...
My goal was to scratch-build and paint a 28mm DBA Early Armenian (II/28(b)) army in twelve days, but I did not make it. More like 24 days, e...
So the call went out on the Wargaming on a Budget forum for how to make helmets for ancient warriors, like a Greek Hoplite. I have been won...
I decided to use the rules Song of Drums and Shakos (SDS), which are simple to teach, but give the player tactical choices to make, so it n...
I was costing out my various Napoleonic figures for the rules Song of Drums and Shakos , and I thought it would be interesting to try and co...
One of the uniform elements that I really like is the Prussian pickelhaube from the Franco-Prussian War-era, similar to this one . In additi...
Generally speaking, I stay away from Hot Glue and Hot Glue Guns. I inevitably burn my fingertips by smooshing it into the molten glue at som...
I was accused of teasing :) you all with my last entry, because I did not include a picture of the final product. That wasn't teasing; I...
This is why I paint Napoleonics. It is because of uniforms like this. I first saw a picture of the 1807 French Napoleonics Carabiniers in a ...
Hi Everyone, I finally got around to painting the Mind Flayer and the Otyugh figures I made a while back. I've been working on a &quo...
Labels I Use in Posts
- ancients (26)
- battle report (4)
- beads (2)
- casting (4)
- dba (10)
- experiments (58)
- fantasy (39)
- gaming (26)
- medieval (4)
- minimalist (3)
- napoleonic (42)
- news (2)
- painting (37)
- printed paper (8)
- products (12)
- review (12)
- sci-fi (4)
- Shadowsea (2)
- soldiers (111)
- steampunk (3)
- terrain (4)
- tools (11)
- toy (4)
- tutorial (70)
- warriors (126)
- wooden (151)
- WWII (2)