Sunday, February 9, 2020

Tying Up Loose Ends

Before launching into painting the mounted Black Guard for the Conan game, I thought I would finish up the Rorschach-inspired low-powered supers figures I had made a while ago.  I did a male and a female version.  The trench coats turned out to be really, really difficult to do well and I'm not happy with the structure of either one of them, in particular the male figure, but I tried to cover up the poor paper craft with paint.  I'm okay with these figures.  I don't love them, but I don't hate them either.  They'll be fine on a table full of other figures and terrain.  I just wish I could have done a better job on them as they are a hero figure.

Male on the left, female on the right.  I used the standard construction for both figure types here and just put the trench coat on top with paper.  Same with the hats.  They are the same construction that I used for the Indiana Jones inspired figure from before.  I just gave the female figure long hair in addition to the mask.

You can see the faces a little better here.  Just blots of black paint on a white mask background.

And from the rear.

Now, onto the mounted version of the Black Guard!

2 comments:

  1. I am still trying to figure out how to do the papercraft, cutting it to fit curved shapes and all. Do you do it in small pieces? I'll have to look through the archives. Great stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for my late reply, Dale. It depends. I try to use as large and as few pieces as possible as a general rule. There is a TON of trial and error, and there is a lot of "happy accidents" where things just turn out well with the paper due to no great expertise on my part. Just blind luck. The female thief figure I did with the red hair is a great example of a figure that turned out way better than it should have just because the paper craft fell into place by accident.

    I used to use more smaller pieces. I try to do less of that now except for hair. Hair looks better when it has layers and depth. In hindsight, I think the cowls of cloaks, whether they are up or down, look better with multiple layers, but it's really hard to do them that way.

    The biggest lesson I have personally learned is that it is not as fragile as I thought it was. Once it has white glue on it, the paper is very forgiving and willing to be manhandled about, creased, etc. to produce the effect you want.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts