Tuesday, February 4, 2020

African Wars Technical

Well, this is probably about as "finished" as I am going to get with my first "Granny Grate" vehicle, a Technical for the African Wars.


My hope is that as I get better using wood filler for the body, I can get a smoother finish. I suspect the culprit was my impatience at sanding such a small item.


I am happy with the glass window effect – I watched several Youtube painting tutorials on the subject – but admit that it should probably be a bit dirtier than it is. I will have to experiment with that more.


The weapon system is made from the same needlepoint canvas as all of the guns were for my troops. I used one piece for the tripod and another for the weapon. Simple, but it conveys the effect, which is all my minimalist style goes for.


I am still trying to figure out what style of grill I want to use. For now I am keeping it black while I paint different styles on scraps.

My next effort has to be either a tank, 2 1/2 ton truck, armored personnel carrier, or a helicopter. As it stands, I am very pleased with the results. I look forward to experimenting with more designs.

2 comments:

  1. I know your focus for this post was on the vehicle, but that mounted weapon looks great! I also love the window paint job, that turned out really good. It is sometimes tough with these minimalistic figures in that one can get too "realistic" with the paint scheme and it just doesn't work IMO. But these windows are a great combination of minimalistic with realism. I really like them a lot. Not to mention, those head lights are great!

    I'm digging the gate on the back too. I like that it looks "added on" rather than "stock" which is so perfect for this vehicle's period and location in the world.

    I was thinking that the "rough texture" look that is unavoidable given the filler you used sort of looks like "rust" to me. I bet we could figure out a way to do a simple rust paint scheme on top of this base coat in one or two places on the vehicle that could look really cool and authentic for the vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it does look like someone painted over a rusted and pitted vehicle.

      Yes, I like how the windshield and headlights turned out. The windshield is simply three shades with a white dot for where light passes through. Base color, larger triangle in corner, then smaller ones inside that.

      The headlights were simply a dark yellow with white lines painted with a liner brush. I figure I will probably do the grill work similarly.

      Delete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts