Sunday, June 24, 2018

More Fighter Types!

I had 4 figures on my painting table this week, three fighter types and a magic-user, but I only got the fighter types finished.  The magic-user figure looks cool so far, but he has a lot of different parts, so it will take me longer to paint him.


Here are the new fighter types.


From left to right, we have a utility fighter in back and breast plate armor, a first attempt on my part to do that.  Middle is a paladin type with a magical two-handed sword.  And on the right is a ranger-type that might look familiar both pose wise and color selections.  More on that later.


The most significant difference for these figures compared to the ones I have been doing is that I added bangs and facial hair to the utility fighter and the ranger.  Ranger's hair is black so it's a little harder to see, but this is new and I'm pretty pleased with how the facial hair in particular turned out.  It makes painting a bit trickier, but not too bad.


Here they are from the ranger's side.

It is actually a better shot of the paladin, but you can see the ranger's hood good in this picture.  For the ranger, I first put the saw-toothed top part of the hood that covers the shoulders on first.  It is made of paper.  Can't see that part too good in this picture but it is visible in the first one.  Then I put the hood on.  Nothing too new with the paladin figure other than the two-handed sword arm pose.  Was a little tricky, but not too bad.  I think the couple of barbarians I did before helped me to do the arms right, but it is honestly easier to do with the barbarian because of the split eggs.  It's all done with tile spacers with the paladin and trimming them exactly right is a bit of a chore.

Not much visible in this shot that is new except it is a good picture of the paladin's shield he is carrying on his back.  You can also see the peaked part of the ranger's hood which I also think turned out well.

So this is the best shot of the utility fighter.  You can see the texture that is created by the bangs and facial hair and again, although painting is a bit trickier, I think the effect is worth it.  Gives more depth to the figure.  This was my first attempt at doing a back and breast plate torso armor.  I'm happy with the shoulder pieces, they are just thin strips of paper, and I also like the bottom of the armor, another thin strip of paper that is flared out at the bottom after it is glued on.  The middle part I tried to create a seem or middle bridge part but it didn't go so well.  It's okay, but I think I need to try again.

Not sure if you remember or not but I have done the ranger figure previously without paper.  To show my development and the growth of how I do these figures, I'm putting the two figures together in the same shot.  Moving to the paper for cloaks and hair has really amped up the level of my figures I think.  But you be the judge.




2 comments:

  1. Those swords actually look sharp enough to do damage. I knew a friend that would sharpen the ends of his ECW pikes so people would know when they were handling his figures too roughly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some Spartan Hoplites from Foundry that I used their spears on and they are, frankly, dangerous! These tile spacer weapons are much safer .

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts