Thursday, June 28, 2018

Lurker in the Lake!

I made the tentacles a while ago for a LotR minis game, but I just don't like the look on the table top of having the tentacles sticking out of the water with no head or gaping maw to strike terror in the hearts of the Fellowship players.  So I did a head of the foul beast to go along with the tentacles.

He was pretty easy to do.  The front part of the head is a large lady bug shape, the mouth is a split barrel bead.  This was glued onto a pretty large (no idea the size) round precut thin wooden base.  The back part of the head is just a goose (I think) split egg.  It is glued to a smaller round precut thin wood base.  Then I used split beads to make the eyes and took the hot glue gun and gave it some interesting folds and textures, as well as ripples in the water as it breaks the surface of the water to eat Frodo.    Here is a closer up shot.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.  Looks much better than just having the tentacles there.  Here is a shot with Frodo and Aragorn to give you an idea of the scale.

Now, I need to put on the game!



4 comments:

  1. :) Brilliant! .....You keep giving me more and more ideas! LOL Painting is excellent as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephen! As I have said before, I think we all inspire each other with our work and our own unique take on this hobby of making miniatures out of wooden bits. The stuff you have been putting out on your blog lately is just awesome! Even if you only end up using those player character figures for marching order and such for playing D&D, I think your fellow players will absolutely love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I especially like the separate arms. I could imagine in a game where the creature gets attacks based on the number of arms and when one is "chopped off", you remove the stand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit, I didn’t think of the separate arms thing, it’s from the LotR minis game from GW, this is how they do the Lurker in the Lake for the scenario and you are right, it is related to how many attacks, and who it can attack, etc. It’s a little awkward for the purists as you literally move the tentacle into base contact with the target (which of course looks funny, especially if the target is on the land but still in range of the tentacle arm) but that is the way they are used in the game, yes.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts