Sunday, March 4, 2018

Goblins 2.0

I finally got around to finishing 5 more of the 2.0 way of doing goblins, more like what the monster appears like in modern D&D publications.  I had the test figure that I did a while ago, I just added in 5 friends for him.  Here they are.

I am pleased that I am getting more dynamic in my arm poses.  I must say, the tile spacers make it really quick and easy to shape whatever arm shapes you want using a craft blade to cut them.  Whenever I try out a new arm pose I invariably go through anywhere between 2 and 12 (2d6?!) tile spacers before I cut it like I want to, but they are so inexpensive it doesn't matter.

I think I covered construction before, but I'll do it again.  Pretty simple.  Small tapered bead bodies, split small round bead heads, tile spacer feet, arms, weapons (except for the spear), and ears.  Small round precut pieces for shields, toothpick spear.  They were pretty quick to design and build.  They have been sitting on my painting table for about two months and I had a "hole" in my assembly process where I had several batches of figures not quite completely assembled, but nothing on my painting table but these guys and I knew I could knock them out in a night or two, so I did.

Here they are with some heroes for scale (human heroes and the one female dwarf so you can get the full effect).



6 comments:

  1. Excellent little figures...I do admire your stylised painting technique. It reminds me of Manga/Anime styles. And I'm really intrigued by the arm poses...I'm just trying to decide whether to try out more dynamic poses with my current figures so this is very interesting. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like his painting style too. I have started trying to use it too, for certain types of figures.

      As for the arms, the nice thing about them versus mine is that they have 3 dimensions. Note only do the limbs have depth (thickness) compared to craft foam, but they can twist in any direction, as opposed to using a single, two-dimensional (looking) piece of craft foam. No buckling when twisting it. I suppose it is about time I go out and look for tile spacers more appropriate to the scale of larger miniatures I make.

      Delete
  2. Love how the brows are reflected in paint and not in shape. One more example of how these figures are easier to deal with and they all have individual character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Stephen and Dale! The original figures I did years and years ago (I think it is 10 years now ... which frankly terrifies me!) had no arms. I painted them on. But this guy named Neil, who I believe lives in England, starting putting tile spacer arms on his figures. I copied him, and have recently because of the rpg figures have started to do more detailed ones. The tile spacers can be a little fiddly, but in terms of flexibility and ease of modification, they work pretty well. I could probably use craft foam as well given the smaller scale of my figures.

    Yeah, I've been pretty consistent over the years in my painting style. It is funny how unconscious it is as I did not intend to have an Anime style to my figures, but it is clearly present especially in the oversized eyes. I've had other people in person call it "impressionistic" which I think is pretty accurate as well. What I like about your guys' larger scale figures is you can do so much more with the facial expressions than I can at this smaller scale.

    I agree, Dale, by painting the features onto the flat figure, you can get all kinds of different looks with only having to have one type of figure/head. Same head piece for each figure, very different facial expressions, and all of it comes from paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the miniatures. I'm also trying to put the arms of the miniatures in more dynamic poses. I've been away for work, but I'm slowly returning to the production of new miniatures and terrains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, Vicente, looking forward to seeing more of your work!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts