|Those ugly gaps|
The second problem:
|Cheap plastic tube beads|
With cavalry, you have two points of contact for gluing – the front and the back legs – but with infantry you only have one, and that one small surface area does not seem to be strong enough to hold. Now I have some smaller wooden beads on the way to replace these tube beads, but I wanted to show how I made the last Prussians.
First, I created a template.
|Template for Loose Infantry unit|
|Clamp the template to a second base|
|Do a batch of bases|
|My artillery template|
|Hot glue the plastic tube beads on|
|Don't forget to trim the bottom!|
It seems like a lot of work, but it really is not. I may be able to forgo this step by using smaller wooden beads for the body, like 4mm or 6mm round beads, especially if they provide sufficient hold. But as long as I have those tube beads, I will probably need to do this. (Your get 1,000 beads for about $4.)
This next shot shows the figures with the 'head' on. I do not recommend that you put them on at this point. I have only done it for illustration purposes so you can see the formation and spacing.
|They are starting to look like Prussians!|
|Not as cheap as toothpicks, because you buy them from the craft store|
|No, I don't really break out the caliper|
|Shoulder arms poses should get longer rifles|
|Step 1 of the firing pose|
One of the annoyances of using hot glue are strands of plastic 'hair', created as you pull the gun away from the dot of glue you deposited. I use the same tool for snipping these as I used for snipping the mini-dowels: plastic modeling sprue snips.
For the second rank, I like the idea of using the trail arms pose. Again, tack the rifle to the body with a minimal amount of hot glue.
Add more glue to make the arm and hand.
Don't worry about it being perfect, paint will camouflage it.
I had to use a few different poses for this rank due to the space being too tight to get all of the rifles at trail. No problem though. Still looks good.
Finally, we put the rifles on the last rank. For this, the heads will need to be on as if the rifles are already attached and they are not perfectly arranged, you will not be able to glue the heads on.
The figure on the left side of the base should get a little more glue so you can paint the arm and hand (as it is exposed).
I use black gesso on all of my wood figures now. It helps fill the pores, so less paint is required, and if you miss a spot with paint, it looks like shadow. It is especially critical you hit the base with the gesso.
|No these are not Prussians, they are more Dark Ages troops|
Next I have to figure out how to make an artillery piece at this scale. Artillery was a problem at the large scale too, but I did finally figure it out, although the piece was big and required a lot of work.