Knowing that Dale would be away from his blog for a few days at this time, I have been hard at work doing some painting so that I could have some stuff to post while he is away. So here is some of the stuff I've been working on. I'll save other things for later in the week.
For tonight, I'm posting about a salamander (the evil elemental creature of fire, not the cute little lizard), an orc shaman, and finally a dungeon accessory piece, a statue of the elven god of luck. I'll start with some "naked"/unpainted pictures and then show and talk about the finished painted piece. I actually started the salamander and then realized I needed an unpainted picture of him, so he has a little paint on him by accident.
You can really see the importance of not painting over everything with the new color (in this case the new color is the bright red). Leaving behind open darker spaces gives visual interest to the figure. This is vitally important on the larger figures like this one, less so on the human-sized guys.
Over the red I painted some orange (you can still see some of it in this finished figure) and over the orange I painted some yellow. In both cases, I did not paint over top of the previously painted color completely, leaving some of the old color still visible. This is very, very important! Are you tired of me saying this yet?
Tomorrow, I'll provide an update on my otyugh figure. I'll give you a little teaser. He's not painted, but I did finish with the construction of him. And yes, he's been sitting on my painting table for over a week because I'm afraid to paint him! Until tomorrow ...
- ▼ October (10)
- ► 2011 (43)
Hello Everyone [Matt here], Dale was nice enough to invite me to submit a guest entry on his Wooden Warriors blog. I was more than happy t...
My goal was to scratch-build and paint a 28mm DBA Early Armenian (II/28(b)) army in twelve days, but I did not make it. More like 24 days, e...
So the call went out on the Wargaming on a Budget forum for how to make helmets for ancient warriors, like a Greek Hoplite. I have been won...
I decided to use the rules Song of Drums and Shakos (SDS), which are simple to teach, but give the player tactical choices to make, so it n...
I was costing out my various Napoleonic figures for the rules Song of Drums and Shakos , and I thought it would be interesting to try and co...
Generally speaking, I stay away from Hot Glue and Hot Glue Guns. I inevitably burn my fingertips by smooshing it into the molten glue at som...
One of the uniform elements that I really like is the Prussian pickelhaube from the Franco-Prussian War-era, similar to this one . In additi...
This is why I paint Napoleonics. It is because of uniforms like this. I first saw a picture of the 1807 French Napoleonics Carabiniers in a ...
Hi Everyone, I finally got around to painting the Mind Flayer and the Otyugh figures I made a while back. I've been working on a &quo...
I was accused of teasing :) you all with my last entry, because I did not include a picture of the final product. That wasn't teasing; I...
Labels I Use in Posts
- ancients (26)
- battle report (3)
- beads (2)
- casting (4)
- dba (10)
- experiments (54)
- fantasy (32)
- gaming (21)
- medieval (4)
- minimalist (3)
- napoleonic (41)
- news (2)
- painting (36)
- printed paper (8)
- products (12)
- review (12)
- sci-fi (3)
- Shadowsea (2)
- soldiers (103)
- steampunk (3)
- terrain (4)
- tools (11)
- toy (3)
- tutorial (70)
- warriors (117)
- wooden (142)
- WWII (2)