I have been working, bit-by-bit, on refining my experiment with printing on paper and then gluing the results to the wooden pawns. I have to admit that I like the look of painted figures better, but I experiment for the fun of it and in the hopes that I will surprise myself.
I think these results surprised me a bit.
My first experiment did not go as well as I hoped. More painting than expected and more fiddly than I wanted (or for the result I achieved). My second experiment was more in line with what I was thinking. In fact, that is the model I have been building from. Compare the images in the second experiment with that below and you can see how much work I've added.
When I put on the Belgic shako, I'll simply add a round dowel to the top of the head and glue the following on as the frontispiece.
All in all I have to say it looked nicer than I expected. And given the level of detail, even the fiddly cutting part is far faster than painting it all by hand.
So, would I do all of the figures this way? No, I don't think so, as I like the colors from painting. The printing still looks washed out. But, this is a way to get an army up and done quickly, so that you have the leisure to paint up the troops, but it won't stop you from gaming. (Which, for me, gaming with the troops is the single greatest way to ensure that I don't lose steam on a painting project.) So, I will probably use this for a battalion or three of troops to get me started.
- ► 2017 (35)
- ► 2011 (43)
Hello Everyone [Matt here], Dale was nice enough to invite me to submit a guest entry on his Wooden Warriors blog. I was more than happy t...
My goal was to scratch-build and paint a 28mm DBA Early Armenian (II/28(b)) army in twelve days, but I did not make it. More like 24 days, e...
So the call went out on the Wargaming on a Budget forum for how to make helmets for ancient warriors, like a Greek Hoplite. I have been won...
I decided to use the rules Song of Drums and Shakos (SDS), which are simple to teach, but give the player tactical choices to make, so it n...
I was costing out my various Napoleonic figures for the rules Song of Drums and Shakos , and I thought it would be interesting to try and co...
One of the uniform elements that I really like is the Prussian pickelhaube from the Franco-Prussian War-era, similar to this one . In additi...
Generally speaking, I stay away from Hot Glue and Hot Glue Guns. I inevitably burn my fingertips by smooshing it into the molten glue at som...
This is why I paint Napoleonics. It is because of uniforms like this. I first saw a picture of the 1807 French Napoleonics Carabiniers in a ...
I was accused of teasing :) you all with my last entry, because I did not include a picture of the final product. That wasn't teasing; I...
Hi Everyone, I finally got around to painting the Mind Flayer and the Otyugh figures I made a while back. I've been working on a &quo...
Labels I Use in Posts
- ancients (26)
- battle report (4)
- beads (2)
- casting (4)
- dba (10)
- experiments (57)
- fantasy (39)
- gaming (26)
- medieval (4)
- minimalist (3)
- napoleonic (41)
- news (2)
- painting (36)
- printed paper (8)
- products (12)
- review (12)
- sci-fi (3)
- Shadowsea (2)
- soldiers (109)
- steampunk (3)
- terrain (4)
- tools (11)
- toy (3)
- tutorial (70)
- warriors (124)
- wooden (149)
- WWII (2)