Saturday, September 9, 2023

Hyrkania Royal Foot

 Got the first of the heavy Hyrkanian infantry units finished.  I think I might try and make three different "looking" units rather than replicating the same figures each time just to add some visual interest to the table even though in the game, all three units function the same way.  Here they are.

Sort of hard to see in the picture but I went with a samurai/Eastern armor type using paper to create the flat shoulder protection.  Wasn't difficult and it was easy to paint.



You can see the "samurai-looking" helmets a little better here.  Just paper wrapped around and painted to look like the segmented armor they have protecting their necks.

I wanted to go with a shield that wasn't really "historical" to give them a bit more of a fantasy flavor.


I planned to do a cavalry unit next, but I have to order some of the necessary pieces.  So I'll probably do a unit of Hyperborean heavy infantry.


6 comments:

  1. They look like they mean business , excellent work.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, I decided to "embrace" more of a "toy soldier" approach with these and make them all the same pose, unlike what I did with the archers. I'm not going to lie, it is a lot easier to do that in terms of saving time during construction, but it does increase the boredom factor a bit, doing the same thing over, and over, and over again. But they paint up so quickly that it's not too bad.

      Delete
  2. I don’t know about Matt, but there is a ‘Peg Soldiers’ Facebook group, but it is not very active. Kenneth Van Pelt used to make a lot of figures on his Penny Whistle blog. These days most people shy away from the ‘analog’ approach like Matt and I and go digital with 3D printer. We are dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well yeah, digital sculpting has an almost infinite number of advantage is the end goal is to simply end up with a custom miniature. But 3D sculpting is also simply not the same as crafting something out of clay or bits or wooden beads as the case may be.

    I don't see the kind of miniatures posted here on the blog as something intended to be a true replacement for a masterfully sculpted metal or resin miniature, but rather as an exercise in the hobby of crafting things. Thank you for the recommendations too! I can't seem to find the Peg Soldiers facebook group when searching for it, but I will definitely check out Kenneth's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peg Soldiers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/536261590360318

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenx, I only know the blogs that Dale mentioned. There is a Facebook group that I follow called something like wargaming on a budget or something like that. He sometimes sculpts his own figures out of clay.

    I agree, I wouldn't say that these figures "replace" my plastic or metal miniatures, but I have noticed that I am doing more of these than painting plastic or metal miniatures than I used to. Honestly, the appeal for me with these type of figures is I can do EXACTLY what I want. For example, with the Conan games, I had tried to do these with metal miniatures before and there are some out there, especially for the heroes, that are sculpted specifically with the movie in mind so they are great. But good luck finding the serpent guard or other mook figures that really are important for the overall look of the game.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts