Monday, January 13, 2020

More Pulp

Did a few more pulp/superhero figures a while ago but am just now getting around to posting pictures of them.  First up, I did a female version of the Grenadier.  Here she is on the right standing next to the male version.

Decided to give her some action and have her throw a grenade.  The only major difference is the use of the peg for her body that I have been using for female bodies for a while now, and her helmet/head is smaller in size.  It's much more proportional obviously.  I like the way she turned out.  I left the bottom of the plug that tapers down on the body to serve as the top of her boots.  Makes her tall, lean, and athletic looking I think.

Next up is a priest, a pulp or superhero "brick" character, and a street thug with a crowbar.

I have always been partial to the supervillain from Marvel comics called the Juggernaut.  I decided a similar type of helmet as his would make a great pulp figure, or even a low-powered superhero or villain.  The priest is a standard construction, nothing new.  Same for the thug.  It's all paint with those figures that makes them look different.
The thug's crowbar is a trimmed tile spacer.  The hero's helmet is a very large bead split in half.



5 comments:

  1. Great character in these figures,they look super.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look absolutely awesome. Great job!

    One thing I notice about your figures (and mine) are that the legs are always together. Have you thought about how to make a figure with legs apart? If I remember correctly, you were playing (or considering) a Kung-Fu campaign, but you used commercial figures. I am pondering such a campaign and cannot see all of the figures being in relatively static poses. (I would probably have several versions of a character, one of which would be a 'legs together' pose.) I was thinking of some figures throwing kicks, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dale!

    Yes, I have toyed with trying to figure out how to do "split leg" figures, such as those doing a high kick for a martial arts game. You are correct, I've been wanting to do a Kung Fu 2100 game (the old Steve Jackson game that is actually being rereleased soon) as a miniatures game. These hand crafted guys would be perfect, but I agree, trying to get some more dynamic poses would be nice for a martial arts game.

    The challenge that I have come across is that if I have tried to do two independent legs glued to a torso, the figure is really, really weak. Too many different glue joints just leads to a weak figure that is likely going to fall apart during play.

    One thing I thought of is to use the usual upside down milk bottle torso and legs that I already use, but instead of the bottom part being both legs, make it one leg. Then glue a second leg at the angle you want onto the body, and use paper to create clothing to hide the unnatural/ugly joint. This solves the weakness problem because the base leg, or platform leg, for the kick is part of the torso already, so no weak joint. The only joint is for the kicking leg and that is not likely to be handled too roughly during play.

    Another option for larger figures that I thought of is to use the old fashioned clothes pins and cut off one of the tongues (essentially one of the legs). Then glue it back on at the angle you want and again use paper to make clothing to hide the joint. These are too large for me, but this I think is an option if one is already planning on doing large figures.

    I'm sure there are many other ways to do this, I just haven't personally thought of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very characterful creations, the Juggernaut/brick character being my favourite.
    As for the Grenadier, I like the body of the female version but I personally feel that the disproportionate head of the male version is more in line with the overall look of the model.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Wouter, I don't disagree. I like the oversized head for the male figure. What I do like about the smaller head for the female figure is that it is another easy way to tell the difference between the male and female figures. I was going to add some long hair coming out of the back of her helmet to make it even easier, but I forgot. I can go back and add it though, I might do that.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts