Friday, December 28, 2018

Breton Allied Command Finished!

Got my last unit of Breton infantry finished today, which means that I have the entire Brenton Allied Command for my Battle of Hastings game finished.  Here is the unit I just finished by itself.  Nothing new construction wise, although I have started to just hot glue the figures to the bases now instead of screwing them in from the bottom.  Not as strong as the screws, but clearly strong enough and it takes a) way less time to hot glue them on, and b) it is SOOOOO much easier on my hands.  Screwing the figures to the base, even with a power drill, was really tough.  Anyway, here they are.




I did remember to paint the tunics sticking out below the bottom hem of the chainmail or padded armor this time (I forgot to do that on the Huscarls unit I finished earlier this month!).  I didn't go with the angled shield arms for these, I went vertical with them, that is except for the axe-wielding guys, their front arms are obviously glued to the body at an angle.  Not as cool looking as the angled shields, but easier to do.  I might try and do a mix and match unit with some straight up and down arms and others angled on the same base.  It gets tricky when you do stuff like that, though, because you don't really know how the shields are going to go in terms of spacing until you actually glue them on, which is the last thing I do with these figures.


I decided to set up the Breton Allied Command in its entirety on my new battle mat.  It's one of those neopryne (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong) battle mats which is essentially a thin mouse pad that is 6 feet by 4 feet (the one I bought has those dimensions, you can get other shapes as well) with a scenic top part printed on the giant mousepad.  I wasn't sure how my guys were going to look on it, it's pretty realistic looking, but I think it looks okay.  I planned to use this battle mat for the actual game.  Here are some shots.




Archers in front, infantry behind, and cavalry ready to ride out when needed in the rear.




The Saxon's view!




View from the rear.


The next unit I'm working on is another Saxon Fyrd unit, and when I get that one done I'll have the Saxon's right side of their line finished (the one that opposes the Brenton allies).  So, when I get that done, I'll post a picture of this entire side of the battlefield with the Saxons facing off against this Brenton allied command.

2 comments:

  1. Really looks great. I use Gorilla Glue brand hot glue for a string bond. I was doing some non-gaming woodwork and I can tell you that wood that is hot glued well can take a lot of weight. Ironically I use hot glue to tack pieces into place so it makes it easier to screw them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I try to do these guys where I've got one group on the painting table and the next group on the construction table so that I have a constant flow. Right now I've got a unit of archers on the construction table and except for gluing the head/helmet to the body, I'm going to try using hot glue for every other joint, especially the ones that are not wood to wood (like the tile spacer arms to the body). If it turns out to be as strong as I think and you've indicated, it will save me a tremendous amount of construction time not having to wait for the thick PVA glue to dry.

    I've not seen the Gorilla Glue version of hot glue, I'll keep an eye out for that though!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts