Sunday, May 20, 2018

The Antagonists!

I got all the "villains" done for the game at NTRPG Con that Thom over at Throwigames is going to be running.  I believe the game is on Saturday.  Anyway, what he needed for the game was a collection of about a dozen gray goblins, sort of like goblin versions of the drow, half a dozen undead gray goblins, a corrupted gray goblin priest, a corrupted gray goblin ogre-like creature, three corrupted gray goblin winged demon-like creatures, and one tentacle horror out of a Lovecraft story.  Here they are fully arrayed.



I haven't been putting as much time into the monsters as the PCs in terms of hair and such, but given that this is a convention game, I wanted to give Thom my best effort on all the figures, even the monsters.  The dozen gray goblins on the left I'm pretty proud of, they turned out quite well I think.  The hair gives them an appearance similar to the Morlocks in the classic The Time Machine movie, made back I believe in the 60's.  The six undead goblins in the center also turned out pretty well although in hindsight I wish I would have done them all in the lightest gray color.  I gave them pink instead of red eyes, patchwork hair patterns, and most have some bones showing through to give them a zombie-like appearance.  My favorites are probably the winged demon-like corrupted goblins on the front right of the picture.  The wings are just paper, but once you get some paint on them you can reposition them as you like.  They are stiff enough with the paint in them, but not too stiff and not at all brittle.  They turned out far better than I thought they would.  I also like the goblin ogre-like creature (the tall chap in the upper right).  My least favorite is probably the goblin priest.  If I have enough time at the end of my deadline, I might do another figure for him.  I don't like the pose, I don't like the paint scheme I chose, I really don't like much and he is a major player so his figure needs to be better looking.  Finally, the Lovecraftian tentacle horror in the back turned out pretty well too I think.  I used my tentacle technique from the LotR game and just made the tentacles by gluing together beads.  The bottom of the body is a large oval bead, the middle is the barrel bead (same thing that I use for the horses bodies for the Norman cavalry figures I've been doing), and the head is two split wren's eggs glued so that they create an open maw.  The eyes are a medium size round bead that I split in half and used a half on each side of the head to make the two eyes.  Then I just hot glued the entire thing to make in particular the tentacles stronger.  Oh, and there are some tile spacer feet as well.

Here are some closer up pictures of all the miniature groupings:

The gray goblins!
Undead gray goblins.

Corrupted goblin priest.






Corrupted winged gray goblin demon-like creatures.

Lovecraftian tentacled horror.

The array from the rear.

Thom also wants an "alter that is a mimic" which is extremely cool.  I will try and do the alter as an actual mimic instead of the alter.  I thought about doing an alter version and a mimic alter version, but given that he doesn't plan on using any scenery for the game (will just draw it on the map instead) having an alter appear by itself to me will be a dead give away, so I will instead just do the monster version so that when the players trigger it he can plop it down on the table as a monster.

Now onto the PC figures.  I've got enough probably to handle Thom's needs, but I would like to make some special for this game.  He needs six different types, and I want to do a male and female version of each to give the players a choice of gender.  I've already got 4 finished, and I've still got a couple of weeks so I think I'll make it.  I'll post pictures of them when I'm finished with them.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, very nice and varied. You are really pushing out the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to be quick in this case, Thom needed them for the game! I like the goblins, I don’t like the goblin ogre that much. I would do it differently next time if there is a next time.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts