Friday, February 23, 2018

Naked Balrog

I don't usually post pictures of unpainted wooden warriors, but I am so proud of this one I just had to.  I've been working on a Balrog figure for the LotR series of games I want to do for about 6 months.  It has taken a long time, but I finally got a construction that I am happy with.  The wings were an absolute beast (no pun intended) to do, but I finally got a way of doing them with thin craft foam that is a) relatively easy to replicate, and b) is sturdy enough that they will not come off.

I'm not sure when I will get around to painting him ... frankly, I'm a little intimidated by it ... but I will eventually get up the courage to throw some paint on him.  Here he is.  I included the female elf figure for scale comparison.





And another follow up on the Norman and Saxon figures.  I have now managed to drop a base of the infantry from waist height or higher twice now, and both times, after a gasp of panic escaped me, the bases of figures landed base side down (rather than on the head or side of a figure) and were completely undamaged.  I think the bases are so heavy that they fall in such a way so that they will always land base side down, unless the distance they fall is not very far, and in that case they probably would be fine anyway.  For a guy like me who likes to run games at conventions, where figures get dropped all the time, this is very good news.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Now that is an impressive piece! I have to ask about the horns though. Are you going to paint some pattern, like curled ram's horns or something, and that is why you used split eggs?

    How about a video of you doing the "water bottle flip" only with miniatures? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha, you give me too much credit for forethought. I used the split eggs for the horns because they fit the best of all the pieces I had to work with . But yes, I will paint some sort of rams horn like pattern. I am going to try and stay as close to the movie Balrog as I can. For example he will be painted with an open mouth as if he is roaring.

    Ha, ha, I should do a figure drop video like that, you are right.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts