After more or less finishing the Balin's Tomb project (the game is scheduled for June 25th, I will post pictures and a battle report here afterwards), I'm back to doing some classic D&D figures.
One of the things I have noticed in doing these wooden miniatures now for several years is that you end up improving them, and I don't just mean the paint jobs. You end up doing more with the construction as well, and the improvements tend to "out date" your old figures. Another way to think of that is that the newer way of doing the figures makes the old way obsolete.
This is a challenge on many levels, but the biggest one is not wanting to redo figures because you will be happier with your new way of doing them compared to the old way. But of course, that is going to happen. Also, it can be tough using the new and the old figures together in a game because of the stark contrast between the figures. A good example of this is looking at the posts where I show the LotR figures I did 2 years ago compared to the ones I just did. They would just look funny together on a game table, sort of like putting an old Grenadier or Heritage fantasy miniature that you painted when you were 12 on the gaming table with a brand new Reaper fantasy miniature that you painted at 50. You can certainly do it, and there is nothing "wrong" with doing that, but it does look a little odd.
Same thing happens with these wooden guys, so I decided that I would continue my efforts refocusing on classic D&D monsters, and some new player character figures. The good news is that some of the monsters are not really affected by this. The Otyugh is a good example, he will stand the test of time most likely. But the player character figures in particular will not.
I've already posted the test figure for this, but I did 5 more orcs with my new construction process to give me an even half dozen new style orcs.
I've been trying to embrace doing more figures with cloaks so that I can get better at doing them. So, for my new PC figure I decided to do an old school thief.
For the cloak, the first thing I did was glue the large part covering his back onto the figure. This was not difficult, just cut it to fit, got a shape I liked, it was fine. In the future I may try to actually do more folds in it, rather than painting the folds on.
What I did instead was create three strips that I used to make the hood. These strips run from the figure's left side to right side (not front side to back side) and this allowed me to easily create the folds around the face (as one piece), then a middle piece, and finally the back piece ending in a point down his back. The paper still has to be folded to conform to the hood shape, but since the pieces themselves are much thinner/smaller, this was easier to do. And, because you are gluing paper to paper in most cases, or paper to the flat side/top of a bead (the head), the drying process for the glue was a piece of cake, I never had to go back and reattach any part of it or anything.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with the figure. I'm sure I'll get better down the road at the cloaks and make another cloaked thief figure, but for now, this one works just fine.
- ▼ May (5)
- ► 2011 (43)
Hello Everyone [Matt here], Dale was nice enough to invite me to submit a guest entry on his Wooden Warriors blog. I was more than happy t...
My goal was to scratch-build and paint a 28mm DBA Early Armenian (II/28(b)) army in twelve days, but I did not make it. More like 24 days, e...
So the call went out on the Wargaming on a Budget forum for how to make helmets for ancient warriors, like a Greek Hoplite. I have been won...
I decided to use the rules Song of Drums and Shakos (SDS), which are simple to teach, but give the player tactical choices to make, so it n...
I was costing out my various Napoleonic figures for the rules Song of Drums and Shakos , and I thought it would be interesting to try and co...
One of the uniform elements that I really like is the Prussian pickelhaube from the Franco-Prussian War-era, similar to this one . In additi...
Generally speaking, I stay away from Hot Glue and Hot Glue Guns. I inevitably burn my fingertips by smooshing it into the molten glue at som...
This is why I paint Napoleonics. It is because of uniforms like this. I first saw a picture of the 1807 French Napoleonics Carabiniers in a ...
I was accused of teasing :) you all with my last entry, because I did not include a picture of the final product. That wasn't teasing; I...
Hi Everyone, I finally got around to painting the Mind Flayer and the Otyugh figures I made a while back. I've been working on a &quo...
Labels I Use in Posts
- ancients (26)
- battle report (4)
- beads (2)
- casting (4)
- dba (10)
- experiments (57)
- fantasy (38)
- gaming (26)
- medieval (4)
- minimalist (3)
- napoleonic (41)
- news (2)
- painting (36)
- printed paper (8)
- products (12)
- review (12)
- sci-fi (3)
- Shadowsea (2)
- soldiers (108)
- steampunk (3)
- terrain (4)
- tools (11)
- toy (3)
- tutorial (70)
- warriors (123)
- wooden (148)
- WWII (2)