Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Skaven 2.0 and Skeletons ?.0

Thought I would post some pictures of my second attempt at making some Skaven, and whatever attempt this is for the Skeletons ... I've done so many renditions of skeletons that I have lost count!


Here are the Skaven:


These are quite a bit different construction wise than the previous attempt.  The heads are the same, but the bodies are the "goblin" body (a tapered bead for the torso and a split tapered bead for the shoulders).  I also added a bead as "pantaloons" between the torso bead and the tile spacer feet.  I also focused more on the paper elements of the figure, whether that is the leader on the far left of this picture with the double cloak, or the foot soldiers with their leather armor including a "stylish" leather helmet made for a long rodent head.


Here is another picture from a different angle:


Better look at the paper armor and double cloak in this picture.  They are a bit taller than the last version, but I like these a lot better.


And now ... again ... skeletons.  I just haven't been happy with my attempts so far because they are just not "skinny" enough.  With these I decided to stick with most of the way I did the skeletons last time, but for the legs I cut the tile spacer differently so that it is narrow and long rather than making them look like they were knocking their knees together.  I also did not cover up/fill in the hole in the bead I used for the head and instead left it open hoping that it would make the skull look less chunkier.  Here are some infantry figures.


The one on the far left of the picture is the easiest to see what I did differently.  The legs look a lot better IMO than the last version I did.  I also stuck with one way of doing the spine, which is a split bead for the pelvis, then a small bead on top of that, and the rib cage/tapered bead glued to that.  Simple and effective, although I did have to hot glue it first and then reinforce all the joints with white craft glue for strength.  But I do like the way they look.  As you can see I also added some tattered clothing to some of them.


Here they are from a different angle:


And now for some bow armed skeletons:


Same as the regular infantry guys above, just armed with bow and quivers instead of hand weapons and shields.  I put a helmet on one of them (rear row, far right).  Didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but it looks okay.


Here is a shot from another angle:
On that front bowman you can really see the effect of leaving the hole in the bead open.  I like it, I think it sort of gives him somewhat of a "jaw line" that is consistent with a skeleton.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! These just get better and better. Good use of shapes and no doubt about what you are looking at. I like the 'segmented builds' (seemingly lots of little components), something I tried previously. Again, I am too invested in my pawns (still have way too many unpainted) to do more than one-offs of builds like this. But I love looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, yes the "improvements" are a bit of a blessing and a curse. It makes some of the older figures obsolete, but honestly, I'm doing this for fun anyway, so really, what difference does that make.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts