I have been working on how to run a dungeon crawl convention game that is sort of like what I ran a couple of years ago at Barrage: light rpg with a boardgame/minis game feel. I want it to be somewhat random, so that I can run the same game again and again but not have it be exactly the same so that people can play in it more than once if they want to. The biggest stumbling block, frankly, is how to do the dungeon itself. It obviously needs to be modular, but the ones I had before while modular, were a) too big in terms of how many spaces were on each tile, b) not uniform enough so that you could avoid situations when the dungeon build was impossible (such as having a hallway be too long because it goes into an existing room), and c) they looked more than a little on the boring side. The tiles were flat pieces of thin wood with spaces painted on them ... <yawn!>.
So I decided to take a look at the tiles used in some of the dungeon crawl board games. There are several on the market where you build the dungeon as you go and you never know how it is going to turn out because each piece of the dungeon is randomly determined. This is exactly what I needed! There are several out there, but the ones I liked the best were from a game called "Dungeonquest." There are two versions, an old GW effort and an updated modern one, and both of them used the same types of tiles. They are squares with a random number of exits coming out of the tile. The thing is, though, that the exits are always centered in that side of the tile. This makes building a dungeon really easy and you do not run into the "tile won't fit here" problem because all the tiles are the same size, same shape, and the exits are always in the same place. Perfect! Plus, honestly, I think they look really cool!
So I decided to give it a go and make some out of foam. However, I wanted these to be a little more intricate than the foam ones I have been making which are essentially just a piece of thick foam with the floor painted on them and in some cases I draw on a grid. I wanted to use thick foam for the floor, thick foam for the sides, and thin foam for individual tiles. This would be some work, but I probably won't need more than 30 or so total tiles for a convention game that lasts a couple of hours.
I've got 5 of them made so I thought I would share them with you, arranged into what an actual game might look like. I also made some new doors, but what's nice about these doors and the way this game is you only have to paint the front side. After a door is opened, it stays opened so you can remove the door from play. Here they are:
Here are some close ups of the various tiles. First is the entry chamber.
Although this might not be ideal for a traditional rpg situation where the rooms differ in size as do the hallways, for a convention board or minis based game, I think they will work very nicely.
- ▼ 2018 (33)
- ► 2017 (38)
- ► 2011 (43)
Hello Everyone [Matt here], Dale was nice enough to invite me to submit a guest entry on his Wooden Warriors blog. I was more than happy t...
My goal was to scratch-build and paint a 28mm DBA Early Armenian (II/28(b)) army in twelve days, but I did not make it. More like 24 days, e...
So the call went out on the Wargaming on a Budget forum for how to make helmets for ancient warriors, like a Greek Hoplite. I have been won...
I decided to use the rules Song of Drums and Shakos (SDS), which are simple to teach, but give the player tactical choices to make, so it n...
One of the uniform elements that I really like is the Prussian pickelhaube from the Franco-Prussian War-era, similar to this one . In additi...
I was costing out my various Napoleonic figures for the rules Song of Drums and Shakos , and I thought it would be interesting to try and co...
Generally speaking, I stay away from Hot Glue and Hot Glue Guns. I inevitably burn my fingertips by smooshing it into the molten glue at som...
I was accused of teasing :) you all with my last entry, because I did not include a picture of the final product. That wasn't teasing; I...
This is why I paint Napoleonics. It is because of uniforms like this. I first saw a picture of the 1807 French Napoleonics Carabiniers in a ...
Hi Everyone, I finally got around to painting the Mind Flayer and the Otyugh figures I made a while back. I've been working on a &quo...
Labels I Use in Posts
- ancients (26)
- battle report (4)
- beads (3)
- casting (4)
- dba (10)
- experiments (65)
- fantasy (56)
- gaming (34)
- medieval (7)
- minimalist (4)
- napoleonic (42)
- news (3)
- painting (40)
- printed paper (8)
- products (12)
- review (12)
- sci-fi (5)
- Shadowsea (2)
- soldiers (131)
- steampunk (3)
- terrain (8)
- tools (11)
- toy (8)
- tutorial (74)
- warriors (149)
- wooden (179)
- WWII (3)