The latest batch of figures I finished is a new goblin construction, and some further attempts to use paper in more creative ways. Also, I am happy to say, I have finally hit upon a construction for female figures that I like.
So, here is a Goblin Town goblin from the Hobbit (which is a slightly different construction than my Moria goblins), with three figures all from the artwork of my favorite version of D&D, Moldvay's Basic game from 1980 (or maybe it's 1981, I can never remember). The female magic-user in red is from the cover art, the female fighter in green is based on a female elf character from the first page of the book, as is the human male archer (also from that first page).
Both female figures are made with a shaker peg with the peg part cut off the bottom. This creates the body from the ankles to the neck. Then I glued a small round bead on top of the rounded part of the shaker peg, creating the head. The feet are just tile spacers like I have done for all the human figures I've been doing of late, as are the arms. The hair is just strips of paper cut to shape and glued onto the head. I like the shape of these figures for female figures much better than the milk bottle construction. As you can see, I didn't put either of these figures in a "chainmail bikini," but I do think that the shaker peg gives a better basic female form than does the milk bottle construction. It is pretty obvious I think in looking at them that they are females, and at the same time the figures are not too small compared to the milk bottle construction.
For those of you who are interested, here are the drawings from which these figures were inspired.
And now, for the all-important action shot!
- ▼ May (4)
- ► 2011 (43)
Hello Everyone [Matt here], Dale was nice enough to invite me to submit a guest entry on his Wooden Warriors blog. I was more than happy t...
My goal was to scratch-build and paint a 28mm DBA Early Armenian (II/28(b)) army in twelve days, but I did not make it. More like 24 days, e...
So the call went out on the Wargaming on a Budget forum for how to make helmets for ancient warriors, like a Greek Hoplite. I have been won...
I decided to use the rules Song of Drums and Shakos (SDS), which are simple to teach, but give the player tactical choices to make, so it n...
I was costing out my various Napoleonic figures for the rules Song of Drums and Shakos , and I thought it would be interesting to try and co...
Generally speaking, I stay away from Hot Glue and Hot Glue Guns. I inevitably burn my fingertips by smooshing it into the molten glue at som...
One of the uniform elements that I really like is the Prussian pickelhaube from the Franco-Prussian War-era, similar to this one . In additi...
This is why I paint Napoleonics. It is because of uniforms like this. I first saw a picture of the 1807 French Napoleonics Carabiniers in a ...
I was accused of teasing :) you all with my last entry, because I did not include a picture of the final product. That wasn't teasing; I...
Hi Everyone, I finally got around to painting the Mind Flayer and the Otyugh figures I made a while back. I've been working on a &quo...
Labels I Use in Posts
- ancients (26)
- battle report (3)
- beads (2)
- casting (4)
- dba (10)
- experiments (54)
- fantasy (32)
- gaming (21)
- medieval (4)
- minimalist (3)
- napoleonic (41)
- news (2)
- painting (36)
- printed paper (8)
- products (12)
- review (12)
- sci-fi (3)
- Shadowsea (2)
- soldiers (103)
- steampunk (3)
- terrain (4)
- tools (11)
- toy (3)
- tutorial (70)
- warriors (117)
- wooden (142)
- WWII (2)